Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Breakfast... The desire...

I’m stuck here in the pizza burger eating country. There are a few Indian restaurants here but none are as delightful as the good old Darshinis in Bangalore. Every morning I wake up saddened by teh fact that I do not get to eat a proper south Indian breakfast. See, I do not have the time to cook and frozen food just doesn’t feel right... That’s when I miss the darshinis and upahars. Ghar ka khana is not an option here and bahar ka khana is not available.. The tacky title reminiscent of Bhatt family is because its catchy...

Breakfast is very important. It as important as an implant to an actress. Doesn’t feel complete without it. I for one miss it a lot. Breakfast that is. Without it I feel like Sreesanth bowling to Hayden who just hit the previous ball to boundary. Frustrated and ready to snap.

Life was so simple when you are at home. You would wake up, thank the big guy, if you are the conservative type and go brush. You would have tea ready. Sip tea, fight for newspaper with your sibling, then go for bath, thindi (or as Mysore/bangalore people say Tifan) ready. Food which is as yummy as Scarlett Johansson in bubble bath (Dosa, uppittu, chitranna, kottige, pundi, in some special occassions shyavige.. yumm. and with that you will hv chutney, sambar, jenu, rasayana.. slurp slurp..) My dad is a better cook than my mom. (Men are always better at cooking and my sweetheart would agree) and my dad was the cook at home. So dad ka haath ka khaana was awesome. Eat go to school/college.. No tension.. no problem.. For someone who always had lion's share in every food item at home, nothing could hv been better.

Moved to Mysore for engineering.. Suddenly realized how important a good breakfast is. Sure Nagaraja Bhatru, Shankara and Mukunda (that was one crazy dude..) prepared good breakfast (Sure MH guys won’t exactly agree. but when you leave MH, you realize the value) but it was nothing like home.. MH life is full of memories (good bad great weird etc.). Should probably write about it sometime. Byak to the ishtory.. Even though it was served at inhumane 6:30 in the morning, it saved us lot of money.. If you wake up late escaping from Warden ( the call "ಆಮಾಯ೦ತು ಬ್ರಹ್ಮಚಾರಿಣಃ... ಒಳ್ಳೆ ವಿಧ್ಯಾರ್ಥಿಗಳು.. ಏಳ್ರಪ್ಪಾ.. ಏಳೋ ಶಮ೦ತಾ..", Shammi was my roommate for all four years in hostel and deemed the warden as his enemy, still rings in my ear..), you had the wonderful Harsha bar(th). 1 Re Idly, 1:50 coffee/vada, 5 Rs variety rice (that’s the term my Bangalore office canteen uses),with what can only be described as supremely awesome mosarubajji.. Take a bow Harsha bar(th). I'm 27 now and never in my life have I had better food for less money. Hygiene? They have not heard of the word and probably think it is some phirangi disease.. That was the greatest place on earth for us. Well, along with GTR. GTR was little over the budget and had heard of hygiene. One Masale n coffee, your day is set.

Then had to leave and spend two months in Coimbatore. Apart from getting scolded by the traffic police for not knowing Tamil (ille saar konjam konjam teriyum.. ) and talking about Arsenal due to a fanatic roomie, the most memorable thing was the food. Tamil Nadu is the best place for Idly vada. Trust me on that. Although they dint teach us Tamil as a foreign language, we learnt tidbits and were successful in ordering different stuff (You don't understand. Tomato Rice is a KANNADA word for the waiter in Bangalore/Mysore. Not for TN one. You need to say Thakkali saadam.). Romba nice no?

Once I came to Bangalore, LCenter canteen was the only option. The food was as good as my cooking. Ghar ka khana you say? Meh.Cooking ran in family blood. It somehow ran away from mine. When I got married, I thought hard times are over.. Still LCenter canteen was my saviour. My wife isn’t a morning person. So avalakki bhath was the only edible thing..

And when i came to Amrika, here there was no option and I realized how important Indian breakfast is.. Eating bleddy corn flakes is the best option here. I’d rather eat pieces of cardboard rather. When you put milk, I do not think you can differentiate. Since waking up and waking up my roommate are the biggest tasks in the mornings, I sencerely hope someone gets a H1 visa or a green card and starts a blooming hotels. Or a dosa camp. Sadly my visa type will not allow me... O Darshini.. Where art thou…

2 comments:

  1. Loved it :)
    Okay.... New aim set for me after I get there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm.. A good Breakfast in necessary to keep you on till the lunch...

    nice one.

    ReplyDelete