Monday, April 04, 2011

Forgiving is overrated...

When I was young and did not have enough gray cells to think about all this, I believed in God very much. I'm a Brahmin. My folks are supposed to be his biggest believers. We do pooja and stuff. So we are supposed to beieve in whatever BJP tells us (Ashish Shakya's statement modified a bit). There have been some blacksheep as well. But every group has their own Shakti Kapoors doing aauuuu at the society. Anyways, It was decided that what we had done centuries ago had to be stopped finally. He sent Arjun Singh. We are getting paid back, in terms of you know.. reservations..... Anyhow I started thinking about all this when my mom fell ill (full filmi I know). She recovered. But my faith did not.

As I said, I am a brahmin. I am supposed to chant mantras and shlokas. Let me be honest. Almost all my clan can recite huge books by heart. I on the other hand know one mantra. or two. Three at max. I do not feel guilty. I will not make an effort to learn either. I know what I am. My parents did not try to force things on me and I am happy about it. I am not sure if something else will happen which will make me believe in him again. My wife will be happy if that happens. Three days of marriage was the biggest challenge I have had. Sittng there in front of the fire and not really believing in what was being done. It was a moral dilemma. But I sat through. Because it meant that I will get what I want.

Now, I'm not an atheist. Im not religious either. I do believe that there is some supernatural entity which is looking over us. And when they come in their huge spaceships, we shall kneel and be their slaves. OK coming back.. What has been happening around me has made me unsure. Don't give me hope faith etc. I don't believe in them either. If you say he is kind, why are people dying miserable deaths? Is he such a petty person to think about a person's past to ruin their present and future ? Isn't he the one who is responsible for one's creation? Wouldn't that make him responsible for the evil things being done by man (and women as well) ?

God is watching.. The most common statement used by the believers to scare the wrongdoers and ones who doubt him. Really? Is he watching? If he is watching "us", what about all the people who are struggling to make ends meet? Who is going to take care of them? Apparently, they would hv committed some sins in their previous life or some shit like that. Come on people. Its God. The G-Man (Sorry Arnab. Its the only time I'm gonna use it for anyone else. Promise). The entity who is supposed to make sure everything is alright. The epitome of kindness and all.

Today in twitter, I read couple of updates which made me ponder. One was a statement saying forgiving is overrated and the other about God being judgemental. If God is really a God, shouldn't he have "godlike" reasoning? Why should he be judgemental? Does he really hate homosexuals and sinners? Does he really order to kill people who do believe in other gods? What is all the brouhaha about? Isn't he supposed to be forgiving? Everywhere, in all holy books, you read about God is forgiving, kind, loving etc. Fine. but then why does he talk about killing people who sin or do not believe in him? Suddeny what happened to forgiving?

Many people cringe when I discuss these things. I do not want to brand it as lack of open mindedness. Poeple do not want to come out of their shell of belief and I do not blame them. No. I am not a liberated soul trying to open others' eyes. The problem I have faced is, Whenever the topic comes and I say I do not beieve in festivities, I get a stare. Believe me, I have come across many such people who treated me as if I have done somethign wrong. They believe in God and so should I? How is it a criticism to discuss his weakness? Don't tell me he doesn't have any. After all man created God as much as God created man.

We have extremists in all religions who try to prove that their God is the best and strongest. It is like the Dhara ad which used to air when I was young. "My daddy strongest". Its a pity. You have loads of people trying to kill everyone else because they dont believe that other religions shoudl exist. You have another person trying to burn the holy book of another religion. The holy shrines are being attacked, the people are being killed. So many people are being killed in the name of God. Even a cricket match between two countries is treated as fight between right and wrong. Where the hell is he? Shoudln't he be come down here, slap them and telling them to shut the %^&* up? Is he just a puppet in his followers' hands?
 
Nietzsche has pretty much summed up for me. " God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"
P.S : AN Murthy Rao has, IMO, written the best book about God. In his book called Devaru, he discusses the tendency of a human being to depend on supernatural. This is a must read.
Also, this was not written to hurt anyone. I just write what comes across my mind. I am also a mean person who is not open to criticism about my beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment